Tuesday, November 27, 2012

The Countdown Is On

    I feel as if the countdown is on. I am about 5 weeks from starting the Firefighters Academy and want to be in the best physical shape of my life. True, I am currently in the best physical shape of my life, but I want to be better, stronger, and faster. I know I should be really working on my cardio and upper body strength, and have been adding to my current workouts accordingly. The addition of the Slosh Tubes to my weekly regiment has been pretty awesome, I must say. I feel as if they will really increase my core strength and help prevent strains and injuries when I am slinging heavy fire hoses while in my full gear. I need to be able to hack my way through a door or roof, so core, back and shoulder strength will be essential. The Slosh Tubes are great for this. I am increasing my swimming as well, pushing myself harder with each progressive visit to the pool. I can now swim 50 laps without stopping, I can easily swim 20 laps at a decent clip, or 10 laps at what used to feel like a sprint pace that I could barely maintain for 2 laps. So my heart, lungs and muscles are improving steadily. Having good cardio will be imperative when working in the SCBAs (self contained breathing apparatus) since the better your cardio the less oxygen you burn, and the longer a tank will last.
    I am feeling nervous and more than a trifle terrified at the prospect of getting to be a firefighter. There is no way to know how I will react mentally when faced with a real emergency call, but I do know that I can make Body prepared, strong, supple, and ready for anything. If Body is rarin' to go then Brain will have less reason to freak. I have always known that Body is the temple, the fortress, that houses Brain and Spirit. There are many times when there is little I can do for Brain and Spirit, but I can always work Body. I can keep the temple strong and protective. It is one thing that is totally within my power, within my control. So I prepare Body for the rigors of keeping pace with a bunch of recruits half my age. I have been told by most of the guys at the station that I am in good shape and that I "have nothing to worry about." I will be the judge of that, and I will not let their assurances lull me into passivity. I know I am stepping into a rigorous avocation, and I will be ready. If Body is strong, then Brain and Spirit will follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment