Sunday, November 11, 2012

Obsession

    I know that to some I may seem obsessive. But in all honesty, I have always been obsessive to some degree over something. How obsessive I appear depends on how focused and public my obsessive nature is at any given time. Participating in racing events can only be rather public. I guess I could keep my racing life to myself, pursue NPRs in secret, train in the privacy of my own home. Oh wait, I do train in the privacy of my own home, so scratch that. I know I am focused. I know how obsession can take on a life of its own, leading me hither and yon, enticing me away from daily doldrums, even making me have to chose between the obsession and having a social life. I like to think that I may be learning how to find a balance, though the enticement must be great.
    Part of my obsessive nature is that I plan out my schedule on a daily, weekly, monthly and yes, even yearly basis. On a weekly basis I like to plan which days will be swim, leg, run, core, cycle, rest. Day to day I think ahead to the details, the minutiae, what will go in my face, what exercises will make up my evening routine. To say that I have a little trouble with an abrupt change of plans would be a mild understatement. But I am getting better. I know that routine is what saves me some days. Those days when I am tired, sore, stressed, depressed, routine will intercede on my behalf, in its implacable, irresistible fashion.
    This week, in my manner of planning ahead, I am going to swim monday and tuesday. Yes, I don't like doing the same workout 2 days in a row, but my life has taken on a life of its own, as it were. Events, obligations, relationships, have had a way of bringing a wonderful distraction into my day to day existence, and I am glad of it. It does mean I have to be a bit more stringent on my planning ahead though. Hence, back to back swim days. I love my swim days. One aspect of my obsessive nature is that I love having a certain amount of predictable repetition in my workouts. I know this may make some people cringe, flinch away from the boredom of lap after lap, rep after rep. It is one thing I have always loved about weight lifting; the mentally soothing counting. So many people I know decry weight lifting and lap swimming as "boring." I, on the other hand find it calming, a chance for brain and body to disengage from the world. Swimming has the added advantage that since my ears are under water so much of the time, the only thing I am hearing is the muffled sound of my own body moving through the water with a steady rhythm, my own breath bubbling out of mouth and nostrils, my own heartbeat. It is the perfect escape for someone who is often on sensory overload just from the constant barrage of the noise of the world around me.
    So, planning ahead, in my rambling fashion. Monday: Swim. Tuesday: Swim and upper body/core strength training. Wednesday: Legs and abs before Firefighting Drill. Thursday: Body weight upper body and core exercises. Friday: R&R. Saturday: Swim and upper body/core workout. Sunday: Run, cycle and leg work. Yes, this may change. Hopefully it will not. Obsession keeps me on track, for better or for worse. At least I can make my obsession work for me, and not against me, most of the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment