Sunday, August 9, 2015

After MIdnight

    "Wish I hadn't done that workout," said No One. Ever. Here it is, nigh on midnight, and I'm just half hour past finishing dinner. Yes, I ended up doing a 2+ hour workout, finishing up about 11pm. I am carefully easing back into cycling, adding 5 minutes with every session. Tonight was 50 minutes. I got a bit bold and added some higher gearing, keeping a high cadence, but always being mindful of my knee. It was my leg workout that took the bulk of my evening. I added in a few old friends: weighted pendulum squats, and single leg deadlifts. Slowly building the difficulty of my leg work, adding in a bit more quad work now that the knee pain is barely noticeable. Slow and steady wins the race. Or in my case, regains the strength.
    Tomorrow morning I will start my day with another cycling session. Doing back to back training lets me get the benefits of longer rides, without the strain. It is a trick I have been using to great advantage for the last year and a half, now I am going to incorporate it, gently, into my rebuilding.
    Topped it all off with plenty of protein. Smoothie with banana, almond milk, and 20 grams of brown rice protein. Then cooked up a 3 egg omelet with just a little extra sharp, white cheddar, with a side of Sungold tomatoes. A ripe peach, and small bowl of PB Puffins for dessert.
    Just let me say here, I had forgotten how much I like the MLO brand brown rice protein powder. Yes, it is just a little grainy, but it has an easy, neutral flavor, no added sugar, is vegan, and my body digests it well. It is also good bang for the buck. It is about $12 for a 24 oz can. They list it at 24 servings, 14 grams of protein per serving. Most protein powders are more expensive and have half the number of servings. Okay, that is my sales pitch for the evening. Now, it is past midnight, and I need my recovery sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment