Sunday, August 2, 2015

Self Coaching

    Self coaching is a two edged sword. On the one hand, your coach is very likely an asshole that gets inside your head, knows all the buttons to push, and goads you on with all the dirty tricks in the book. On the other hand, your client will often come up with ingenious excuses for skipping a workout here and there, or try to short shrift a set when they are tired and whiny.
    Okay, all kidding aside, self coaching is not easy. I don't have anyone waiting for me at the pool, so if I don't show, no one will be the wiser. I run alone, so if I decide to skip the last set of hill repeats it will be my dirty little secret. I cycle alone, so if I decide to just hit cruise control and take a relaxing ride through the countryside, no one is left waiting for me at the first pit stop. This would make it easy enough to slack off. The flip side of this is that I  will know.
    I was thinking of this last night in the pool, as I did a new, grueling endurance set. It is called a Broken Endurance Countdown. It goes like this: Warm up 5 laps; Then 150 yards each pace - - Cruise, Race Pace, Easy at the Wall Sprint between the Flags (cruise the first and last 4 yards of each length, sprint the middle 16 yards), finish with a Build to 90% for one set; Then each set is reduced by 25 yards i.e. 125 yards of each pace, 100 yards, 75 yards, 50 yards, 25 yards. Cool down 250 yards mixed strokes, 300 yards kick drills. It totals 58 laps or 2900 yards, or 1.65 miles Halfway though the first, and longest set, I was already thinking, "Oh dear gods, I am never going to be able to do this." It was tough, a real shoulder burner. But I also have the Coach voice in my head, "You're just warming up, it will start to flow once you are warm. Okay now, longest set is done, it gets easier from here." Yeah, that last part was a total lie, and I bought into it. Much like the people cheering you along on a long race course, "You're almost there, it's all downhill from here," they are always lying. Yes, I did get smoother after I was fully warmed up. I also realized that I was pushing a lot harder than the actual drill called for during the entire first set (my "Cruise" was more like Race Pace, and my Race Pace was more like the 90%). Time and time again I thought, "I can't finish this." And time and time again, I goaded myself along, "Just finish this set. You're a third of the way done, you're halfway done. You're down to the last few laps." I talk to myself, encourage myself. And, most of all, I listen to myself. The funny thing was, as I was getting towards the end, I was already thinking of ways to make the set longer, and a little tougher. Self coaching requires a certain level of sado-masochism.
    I know it is easy to become complacent with training. I do it to a degree with my strength training, relying on a fairly consistent series of sport specific sets. But I mix it up, increase weight and/or duration. I add in new exercises. I am always on the lookout for ways to tweak my routine, but not to the point that I am all over the map with it. I do know that consistency is vital. But I also know that I need to have some variation or my training will become stagnant, and I will plateau.
    For me, one of the hardest aspects of self coaching is not motivation or work ethic, it is forcing myself to rest when I need it. Currently, I'm recovering from a knee injury, and I am having to force myself not to rush back into cycling and running. I am slowly increasing my cycling, adding 5 minutes to each session, and only spinning every other day, instead of nearly every day like I want to. I am up to 45 minutes, as of today, and had to force myself off of the bike. I wanted to keep going, it all felt so good. I have been religious about the leg work I'm doing though, it is basically knee friendly strength training and toning to keep my muscles active and strong, and to help balance my hips and glutes. I'm not sure when I will be running again, but hell, I just bought myself a new pair of trail running shoes (honestly, they are shoes I have been coveting; Vivo Barefoot Neo II, clearance priced at $25, marked down from $120... how could I resist?).
    In a few weeks, if all goes well, I will go to the Eco Park for a gentle trail run. It is an easy trail, a half mile loop, well padded with wood chips, that winds through dense woods. Yes it has some short, steep hills. Very short, and I will be careful. I was going there twice a week, using it as a combo trail run/hill repeat workout. Running laps around the loop, taking it easy on my knees even before the current injury. It is a great place on hot days, since it is heavily shaded.
    I dream of running. Which seems odd, since I don't consider myself to be a rabid runner. But I dream of running through the woods, nimble and quick. Light on my feet. The dreams are so real I can smell the crushed leaves beneath my feet, and feel the dappled sunlight on my shoulders. I do dream of running, and it is so hard for the Coach inside my head to be the hardass, and keep my on track with the rehab.
    Coach says it is a time for base building. Time to reset the training schedule. Take a step back and look at the big picture. If I behave now, heal, keep strong, work on technique, continue to build my base intelligently, then maybe I will be ready for the Ironman next July. I just have to listen to my Coach.

No comments:

Post a Comment