Tuesday, August 4, 2015

The Urge To Race

    The urge to race is burning in my veins. I sit and stare at events, perusing the registration forms, pondering my fitness level. I haven't run a step since July 4th. I am just beginning my cycling training again, taking it slow and steady. There is a triathlon in The Dalles on September 12th that I would love to do. Olympic distance. The swim is in The Columbia River. How awesome would that be?! I want to race. I am burning to race. It is driving me a bit mad that I have no events scheduled. I want to register for the tri in The Dalles, and a duathlon in Champoeg Park at the end of September.
    I do have the Firefighter Stairclimb to look forward to this year. I had to miss it last year, it was the same weekend as the 250K. This year they are allowing districts and stations to have teams. I am hoping to entice a few of my brethren to climb as a unit this year. Last year only one guy from our district did the climb. He called me the night before, asking me to be there for moral support. I had to disappoint him, I was still in Bend, recovering from my race. So I do have one event to look forward to. But it is not quite enough.
    I think this Saturday I will try my first run. I can do a quick run after work, before my swim. Just a half mile, maybe a mile. I won't allow myself to run more than a mile. The Coach in my head knows I must take it slow and steady. But g'damn it, I want to race. I want to Swim Smart, Bike Strong, and Run Tough. It is driving me mad.

No comments:

Post a Comment