Friday, August 7, 2015

Hungry. Very, Hungry.

    It was a hungry day. All day. Hungry. I'm not training hard enough to justify feeling like a bottomless pit. Last year at this time, I was a bottomless pit, but I was getting in two training sessions a day, and putting in very long weekend rides. I couldn't seem to eat enough. This year, riding the wave of injuries, my training has had to be much more restrained. And it is making me crazy. Seriously. Yes, I am distracting myself with other, equally obsessive past times. My ongoing construction project is absorbing much of the time that would be spent pounding pavement, or in the saddle. Such is life. Anyway, hunger. Prevalent, overpowering hunger today. So, after a hard swim, I made a gigantic dinner. Stuffed to the gills. But, as with all things, I still maintained my "rocket fuel" approach to nutrition:
From scratch griddle cake made with organic spelt and quinoa flours, corn meal, and fresh local corn. Topped with a sprinkle of extra-sharp white cheddar, 2 over easy eggs, fresh organic spinach, and fresh guacamole. A side of just picked, still warm from the sun, home-grown Sungold tomatoes. Dessert was a drippingly ripe Maryhill peach. And finally, to push me over the edge on the gluttony scale, a bowl of Peanut Butter Puffins cereal with almond milk.
    I should not be so hungry. Maybe I need to increase my training to keep pace with my appetite. G'damn, I miss the intensity of last season's training regiment. With no race at the end of this summer I have floundered. A knee injury early on made me fall even further behind. I just keep telling myself that I am base building for an early season Ironman next year. The Anvil is in July. It will likely be hotter than a pepper sprout, but I do all right in the heat as long as I stay hydrated. Now, to bed to fall into a food induced coma. Hard swim again tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment