Wednesday, September 2, 2015

First Run in Too Long

    Went on my first run since the race on July 4th. I've been itching to get out and run, but have been waiting until I had at least a week pain free with my knee. Happy to report that there was no knee pain, just my usual aches and pains. Running is not and never will be a pain free endeavor for me, but it is the price I pay to train for triathlon. I got to run in my new Newton running shoes. They are reported to be the best shoes for the "age group athlete" aka those of us past our youth and prime. All the testimonials from older athletes sing the praises of it being the shoe that lets them run with minimal knee, hip, and ankle pain. Time will tell. But, as for yesterday, they seemed to do the trick. They are a zero rise shoe, with a fairly rigid sole. Not the ultra-fluffy, squishy, over padded running shoe that most would think would be the key to pain free running. I like a thin, firm sole that keeps me connected to the ground. Much as I like my own soul to be firm, solid, and well grounded. The Newtons encourage more of a mid-sole strike for me, which I think will be better for me than my natural inclination to a forefoot strike. I think these will be gentler on my calves and Achille's.   The run itself was brief, maybe a mile and a half. My legs and lungs felt good, though I know my endurance is gone. I had planned on running a flat, easy road, but circumstances had me out in Sherwood, near the hospital, with time on my hands. I ran a couple of laps around the hospital, and the road is mostly rolling hills. It did let me test my muscles a bit, and it felt good. I resisted a set of hill repeats on what would have been the perfect little incline. I was behaving myself, running easy, listening to my body. I wanted to run more, was even thinking of running back to the car and getting out my new trail shoes and giving them a spin, but I reined myself in. I finished with plenty of stretching, three sets of standing high knees, a set of split squats, and more stretching. Yes, last night my left foot and ankle hurt like hell, to the point that I wrapped it for a while and took Aleve before bed. But that is an ongoing issue that has little to do with my run, and more to do with standing on a concrete floor all day at work.
    Funny thing, as I was running, and feeling remorse over my lost endurance, I realized that I could run a 5K with minimal discomfort. I could run a 10K, but know I would feel gassed after. That in and of itself tells me that my body is still in better condition than it was 3-1/2 years ago, when a 5K was out of the question. The endurance will return. I remind myself that I am taking the long view. I want to be back to ultra-endurance, long course triathlon next year. I will complete my I.M. distance, I want the 140.6 sticker on my window. So for now, I will rebuild slowly, steadily, carefully, and not neglect my strength training. Okay, not that I ever really neglect my strength training, but when my endurance training increases to a billion hours a week, it is tough to fit in other workouts. For now though: easy runs to regain my legs, increase my cycling time, swim 3 times a week, strength training, and reintroduce some plyometrics. This will take me into winter in good shape, and from there on, it is a matter of staying injury free until the I.M. Anvil at Hagg Lake next July. That will be my A Race in 2016, and I just might try for the half-Iron in September. Just have to stay strong and injury free. Just. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment