Monday, July 8, 2013

Push The Envelope

    Yesterday was my longest cycling distance, nonstop (other than a few stoplights, damned traffic) in my life. I Rode a solid 48 miles in about 3 hours. Not super speedy, but I was going for my normal Strong and Steady. Funny thing, I have found I can ride comfortably, well, relatively comfortably, with my hands continually in the drops of my handlebars, and did so for 90% of the ride. I used my aerobars some, but mostly to let my shoulders and triceps relax for a few moments, since I discovered how, although they help with aerodynamics, they sap a little of my power. And putting my hands on the top of the bars, or back of the shifters? Wow, talk about a power killer. I was actually kind of amazed to discover this. It makes me look back at last season and realize just how much energy I burned, needlessly, because my core wasn't strong enough to support me in the dropped position. That is the key, you see. The key to strong cycling, less shoulder strain, less upper body fatigue: Strong Core. I have been working my core very specifically to improve my power in all three disciplines. Yes, I have abs of steel. Well, not exactly, but I do have the top of a six-pack peeking out above my belly button. The last few miles were a bit tough, but I know that in racing conditions my adrenaline would have made any discomfort negligible. The one part that kind of took a pounding were my delicate girly bits. And the last mile of the ride home is on a beat to hell, rough, farm road that I take slow and easy anyway. But yesterday, it seemed coarser than usual *ouch*.
    As I was riding up a long hill, with a head wind, I had a thought that made me chuckle:
    Optimist Cyclist, "Brutal uphills always have an awesome downhill on the other side."
    Pessimist Cyclist, "Awesome downhills always have brutal uphill on the other side."
    Realist Cyclist (me), "There are always hills. And they suck."
    It was a great ride, and made me understand that I can do the cycling leg. This weekend I nearly did all the distances I will need to do come September. Friday, I swam over a mile in open water, and was unfazed. Saturday, I ran 10 miles, and though I was tired, I wasn't spent. Sunday, I cycled 48 miles, Strong and Steady. Next phase: Bricks. Combining 2 or all 3 disciplines in a workout. I have been doing that with swimming and cycling for the last month or more. I swim my 1-1/2 miles at the pool, then come straight home and cycle for 45 to 70 minutes. But now I need to train to run after coming off the bike. I have finally formulated a solid plan that will let me do this without worrying that my bike will get stolen when I am running, or that I will have to cycle and run the narrow, shoulderless roads around my place. I can throw Joshua in the back of my pickup, ride to the Station in Silverton, park there, cycle into Salem and back, then park Joshua in the engine bay while I go out for a run. I can work it almost like T2, the transition from bike to run. It is a solid plan, and one I plan on putting into practice next Sunday.
    September is looming, shit's getting real. I have to pick up the intensity a bit, get more specific with my training. Push the envelope. I love pushing the envelope.  

No comments:

Post a Comment