Sunday, July 14, 2013

A Good Weekend

    Yesterday's trail run was a bit short, not nearly the ten miles of last weekend. This wasn't because of lack of motivation on my part, but lack of trail at my destination. I did find a glorious, magical place due east of my home. A small, clean, mountain river cutting through stone, with three amazing waterfalls that had created clear, deep pools. I never imagined this place existed. The trail was short and steep. My run was more run, hike, climb, and scramble as I maneuvered over rock, down walls of jagged stone and back up again, and across water rounded boulders surrounded by singing white water. It may not have been a run, but it was an hour long workout for Body and Soul. I made up for lack of running with an hour on the bike, followed by an hour of abs, core, and stretching. Rule Number One: Train Every Day.
    Today I knew I was going for a decently long ride followed by a run. I must train my legs to come off the bike and run without feeling like lumps of clay. I should have headed out earlier, but once again was enjoying a relaxing morning after a good night's sleep. I loaded my beloved bike, Joshua, into the back of my pickup and headed south. I knew I could park at the fire station, giving me a safe place to leave Joshua once the ride was over,a s well as a cool place to stretch and change out of sweat soaked gear after my run. It was a solid plan, and went off without a hitch. My ride took me west to Salem, north to Woodburn, then southeast back to Silverton. I rode well, my legs felt strong and solid. I found myself thinking over and over, "I feel so g'damned healthy!!!" I was afraid I would jinx myself. As I neared the station after my 38 mile ride, I went through a series of moves to help my legs wake up from the circular monotony of cycling. Shifting to a harder gear I stood and pedaled, letting my legs stretch, as well as my back and shoulders. I let Brain begin to think, "Run, run, run." And imagined my legs slipping into my easy stride.
    Back at the station I quickly peeled out of cycling shorts (I was wearing Under Armor capris under my shorts), swapped shoes, sucked down a Clif Shot, swallowed the last of my pomegranate juice, grabbed a new piece of gum, and hit the pavement. My transition was a little slower than what it would be in an actual triathlon T2, but not much. My legs did me proud. I did not have the leaden, worn out, dead feel that so often accompanies the first mile or so off the bike. It only took me a few strides to find my pace and run. Legs, lungs, and energy felt good. Great, even. I ran an easy 2-1/2 miles at a good pace. I had planned on running further, but my late start put me running in the heat of the day, and my body started protesting a bit. I decided to listen to Body, for once. I will repeat this workout every weekend for the next six weeks, increasing mileage. My goal is 45 to 50 miles on the bike followed by a 6 to 8 mile run. I know I can do those distances, now I just have to do them back to back. Ideally I would tack a swim onto the front of this, but that has technical difficulties that I haven't quite figured out. Granted, I am not concerned about my swim, I can swim a solid hour or more, in the lake, without fatigue.
    My confidence is growing, not to a point of egotism, I know this race is going to be a f'king bitch, but to the point where I know I will finish. I will cross the finish line and feel the exultation of a hard won, well earned victory. I am excited.
    Now, for an hour of core and stretching before bed. Tomorrow I will don my Selkie Suit and enjoy The Cove. Always: Rule Number One.

1 comment: