Thursday, July 11, 2013

Calender Watching

    Funny, I love poring over my calender, looking ahead to the races I hope to do. There are so many! I have found a trail running group that helps me get my racing fix without the entry fees. But it isn't quite the same as pinning a bib number to my leg (I hate having them on my chest, it triggers my OCD Princess and the Pea Syndrome), piling up at the starting line, and watching as the runners rabbit off along the trail. I am looking over events for the rest of July and in to August. I have a 6 mile adventure run in 2 weeks, and my first trail half-marathon in 3 weeks. The first weekend of August is my tune-up Tri, an Olympic distance Tri to gauge my readiness, and the weekend after that another half marathon trail run. Oddly, it is my anniversary triathlon, the same event that nearly drowned me 11 months ago. My first race of any kind, ever. How funny is that? It was the stepping stone, an epiphany, the beginning of an adventure. Now that I think of it in those terms it is rather amazing. Last year I competed in 11 events: 3 triathlons, a 10K, 2 5Ks, 3 trail run/adventure races, 1 obstacle course race, and the Firefighter Stairclimb. This year I have already done 7 events, plus the run with the running group. 11 months ago I about keeled over doing a sprint Tri, last weekend I ran 10 miles and cycled 48 miles just for fun. Sometimes I get discouraged thinking how much further I need to go, but if I would just stop for a moment and see just how far I have come, I might let up on myself a little. Nah. I won't let up, it's not my nature. The season is just getting started, the fun is just beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment