Saturday, July 20, 2013

Homestretch

    Heading down the homestretch of my training. I have just over one month remaining to be ready to spend a day pushing my own limits, finding out just how well I can traverse 70.3 miles under my own power. I am feeling more confident with nearly every workout, especially my swimming and cycling. I know the run will be tough, but I also know that when I find my own pace, my slow and steady 10 minute mile, I can run 10 miles without wanting to drop over dead. Wednesday I ran 6 miles with the trail running group, on what was not trail, but mostly urban jungle. It was a hot and humid, 90 degree afternoon, and between the heat, the pollen, and my lack of asthma inhaler, I had to take it easy. I can't run as often as I would like, my knees and ankles protest, so I am cycling almost daily, and doing plyometrics and crossfit type workouts to supplement my low mileage. I will be able to do the run, I know it.
    The next three weekends will be my tuneup races. The Wildwood Trail Half-Marathon, The Blue Lake Olympic Triathlon, and the Hagg Lake Trail Half-Marathon. Three big weekends, back to back. It will be tough, and I may be over-doing it, but I know I need to push myself this last month with very race specific training. The half-marathons I will run as best I can, but I will also walk if I need to, to prevent overextending myself. I know I can do the distance, this will give me the chance to prove it. The Olympic Tri is my true practice race, a chance to put it all together. I plan on pacing myself as if it were the half-Ironman. I will find my own pace, fuel well, prove that I can drive the vehicle I have built. Endurance racing really comes down to strength, stamina, and strategy.
    Nutrition also steps to the fore. Not that I have not been incredibly conscientious about what goes into my body, but even that is getting dialed up a notch. My body will need all the rocket fuel it can get to withstand what I will be doing to it over the next six weeks. They do say that nutrition is the fourth discipline of Ironman, and I take it very seriously. To that end I have become quite the health food gourmet. The vegan meals I prepare, the gluten free baked goods, the smoothies chock-a-block full of raw fruit and veg goodness, all have me feeling absolutely glowing with good health.
    All the pieces are falling into place. I am heading into my final weeks, my peak training period, the homestretch. Yes, I am having a few minor freakout moments, but they are brief and infrequent. Mostly I am feeling the excitement of this ultimate challenge I have set for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment