Thursday, July 4, 2013

50K (*yikes*)

    With my Big Race still two months out, I am already looking towards next year, and what will be my racing goals. I know I must keep my focus in the here and now, and I am, but I am also looking ahead. I find that I love setting challenges and goals for me, Brain and Body. This year a half-Ironman, and my first marathon. So, what am I setting my sights on for next year? Ultra Trail Running. Nothing too zany, no hundred mile runs through the wilderness. Next year I am going to participate in one or more 50K trail runs. Yes, I am insane. No, I do not think this is unreasonable. As much as I love trail runs, I think this is the logical progression. I will ease myself into it. I am already planning on running the Wildwood Trail Half in a few weeks, which is 21K. And then there is a 25K run next February at Hagg Lake that I will be running as a nice, mid-winter, break up the doldrums event. By then I will already have a marathon under my belt, which is 42K. So what is a few extra kilometers tacked on to that? I know, I need to actually get through the marathon before acting like it is all easy-peasy. I know it is not. I know the Half-Ironman and Portland Marathon will be ass-kicking and brutal. But that is how I like it, how I want it. I want to see just what Body is capable of. I want to test my strength, spirit, and stamina. I know I push myself, but if I don't do it no one else will do it for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment