Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Run The Distance

    Last Saturday I ran my longest race to date. 10.5 miles around Hagg Lake, in scenic Washington County. Ten and a half miles. And it was a hilly ten and a half. I was concerned that the new job, being on my feet eight hours a day, would effect my legs. I was afraid I would not have "the legs to run." But I have been running a consistent 5 miles several times a week, on varying surfaces, without much trouble. As for the ten and a half, I decided I would do my damnedest to run the whole distance, but would walk if need be. I am pleased to say I only walked a few very short stretches. The first was just after the 4 mile mark, a long, steep hill. I had promised myself that part of my reason for this run was to practice fueling for my Long Course Tri in September. I had planned to take in some calories at about the halfway point, so this hill seemed a good place to slow to a power walk and chew up some Clif Blocks. It was a good plan. My energy stayed very consistent through the whole run. I walked two more times, very short stretches in the middle of two long hills. My knees were bitching at me by mile 7, but I softened my footfall and concentrated on form, and the pain faded a bit. I found myself counting my paces to take my mind off the fatigue. I counted 100 paces, over, and over, and over. It helped me slip into a bit of a Zen mindset, ignoring the discomfort, and moving forward. In the last few miles, my legs did start to tire, but I made myself keep good form and I actually moved through the fatigue and regained the spring in my step. I admit, I was almost deliriously excited to see the final half-mile marker. I finished strong, head up, easy strides, even put in a nice kick the last 100 yards or so. No, I am not a speedy, distance runner, but I did finish 3rd in my age group, and I am damned proud of that finish. I waded out into Hagg Lake to give my legs a 20 minute cold water bath, it was f'king cold, and invigorating! I was not as tired as I expected to be, and felt damned good the rest of the day. Yes, my legs were a bit sore for a few days, but no worse than after any good, hard, leg workout. This run made me feel that a half-Ironman is not a ludicrous idea. I can do this race. I will run the distance.

No comments:

Post a Comment