Saturday, May 18, 2013

Fourteen Weeks, and Counting

    Fourteen weeks. The weeks I have left for active training. On one hand, it does not seem like enough. On the other, I know I am building a solid endurance base. I have to remind myself that I have to build carefully and consistently. Running remains my Achilles heel, but I am making great strides (pun intended). I have decided that the best way for me to run further distances is to sign up to race nearly every weekend. I am not a hard competitor, so what I am doing, is basically getting out to run with a group, over a different course, with just enough motivation to make me push myself harder than I am inclined to do on my own. Knowing myself as I do, I think this is a solid plan, and I'm sticking to it. Besides, when I pay for something, I will use it.
    The keystone of my workout focus is now shifting to cycling. In my continuous searching and researching, I stumbled upon an article on the cycling/running connection for the top long distance triathletes. It is true that you don't win the race on the bike (or in the swim), but in the run. I do not have aspirations for winning my race, but I want to feel like I put in a solid effort. But I ramble. My point here is that the athletes who finish well are strong cyclists, as well as good runners. Being a strong cyclist means that when you get off the bike you are not totally gassed before the run, so you can start the run on better legs. Those who are strong, fast runners, but not strong cyclists struggle on dead legs after the bike. Let me reiterate, I do not plan on winning my race, but I want to finish strong, for myself, not in comparison to anyone else. Cycling is a much more forgiving discipline. It will not brutalize my knees quite like running will, or beat up my feet. I can build my base quicker on a bike because of the fact that it is not so brutal. Now that the weather is settled (somewhat), and the days are longer, I can get out after work for long rides. I can put in some long hours in the saddle on the weekends, as well as continue indoors with the bike up on rollers.
    My swimming is going well. I have developed what I think of as my "Perpetual Motion Stroke." It is not fast, but it feels like I can do it forever. Again, the race is not won in the water, but it can be lost there if too much energy is wasted. I don't want to come out of the water burned out and depleted like I did during the Portland Tri. Next week I will start a weekly open water swim. My new job is just a stone's throw away from Clackamas Cove, the best open water in the county. My wetsuit will be traveling to work with me.
    I feel good about my progress to date, and feel good about where I am going. I have a lot of training ahead of me, but I know I am on the right course. Fourteen weeks. I will try to not waste a day of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment