Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Dawn Comes Early

    A week and a half into my new, epic job, and I am finding that the new schedule is messing with my workout regimen. I had spent so many years at the same coal mine, same hours, same days, that my schedule was all but set in stone. This made it very easy for me to plan my workouts. The new job really isn't all that different except that I am working a full week, and get off work an hour later. This is mildly problematic, although I know I am still in my adjustment phase. Have I ever mentioned that I do not like change all that much? I am such a creature of habit, and this has saved me at times when a less habitual person might very well succumb to the abyss and not crawl out until late Spring. My habits keep me in line, year round. As a matter of fact, these habits were developed and nurtured as an anecdote to Seasonal Affected Disorder. Every Autumn I am looking ahead, planning workouts, goals, and sport specific training. I have to. It is not optional. But now, after many years following the same routine, I am suddenly a bit rattled. I do not have time to be rattled, I should be ramping up my training on a steady basis. To this end, I have decided that since my new job has me working an hour later, and the weather is getting warmer, it is time to add a morning workout. I already tend to wake long before my alarm goes off, but stubbornly lay in bed, even hitting the snooze alarm, in an attempt to at least pretend that I am resting. Instead, I will start getting in a 45 minute cycle or run in the mornings before work. That will still leave me the evenings for swimming, stair climbing, and additional running and biking. I think it is a solid plan, and I am going to make it happen, starting tomorrow. Yes, I could give myself a little more time to adapt to my new job, but time is one thing I never seem to have. So, why wait? Guess I should hit the rack, time for sleep so I can get up early and break a sweat. Best of The West Half-Ironman is only 17 weeks away, not that I am counting. And being ready is not going to magically happen. So, g'night Moon, Dawn comes early.

No comments:

Post a Comment