Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Wanted To Swim, Cycled Instead. Bastard Stole My Swim Bag.

    Well, tonight was going to be swim night, and a rest for my legs. Then some motherfucker stole my swim bag out of my car while it was in the parking lot at work. What the hell? It was a cheap, nappy, net bag that that you can see through, so it's not like what was in the bag was secret. The stuff in the bag had no value to anyone but me, and it would cost over $200 if I went out and replaced everything that was in the bag: 3 pair of Speedo goggles, 5 swim caps from my various races, hand paddles (really nice Speedo ones), my 2 favorite Speedo suits, my best towel (seriously, I don't have very many nice towels), some shampoo and conditioner. See? Nothing worth stealing. So what the hell?!! I wish I had noticed as soon as I got to my car, then I would have spent a few minutes looking around, because I bet whoever stole it took one look at what it contained and threw it away. To say it is aggravating is a definite understatement. I feel cheated, frustrated, weepy, and really fucking pissed. What a sleazy thing to do to someone who can't really afford to replace any of this stuff, but has notchoice because without it I can't train. I have extra suits, but I have to have goggles and a swim cap, and I really want hand paddles.
    On the up side (up side?), I had planned that this would be an easy swim week anyway. So even though I had planned on giving my legs a break tonight I decided to do a 90 minute cycling workout. I need to up my cycling and running, since that is where I will be expending the bulk of my energy come my September event. Cycling is where I need to be strongest, since I will spend more hours in the saddle than in both the other legs combined. So, when there is spare time, cycling is always a good idea. Despite the workout, I find I am short tempered tonight. Justifiably, I think, but I'd rather feel my normal, post-workout mellow.
    Tomorrow is drill at the station, so I will take the day off from training. I know I should take one day off a week, so since I can't workout Wednesday evenings, I might as well make it be Rest Day. I have a book on the way, "Going Long: Training for Triathlon's Ultimate Challenge," to hopefully give me help in setting up a viable training program. I know I could likely do it on my own, but this event is not something I can fake my way through. Oh sure, I could struggle through it, miserable for a good part of the 250 kilometers, but I'd rather be trained to the highest level I can manage between now and then, and that will take some doing. I am slowly working on my mental game. During my workouts I seek to relax my mind, find that relaxed, zen point that lets me forget aching muscles, complaining knees, and any self-doubt. It is something I need to train in every bit as much as stroke technique, pedaling cadence, and proper foot strike. Ultra-endurance triathlon is more about mental strength than it is physical endurance. I get excited thinking about giving this everything I have, 100 percent. Excited, scared, delirious, amped, insane, freaked, and more than anything else, abso-fucking-lutely stoked.

No comments:

Post a Comment