Thursday, February 27, 2014

Fueling

    In the spirit of getting back on track I have got to get my winter eating reined in. No, I have not gone whole hog (as it were), but I have been consuming a few less than optimal choices lately. My weight has remained relatively stable, although I am up about two pounds since the first of the year, and about five pounds heavier than I was at my lowest, during my heaviest training last summer. My indiscretions of choice have been organic dark chocolate, and sweet potato corn chips which are a bit like crack to me with their sweet/salty, crispy goodness. Yes, the corn chips are organic, gluten free, whole grain but that does not dismiss the fact that a bag is about 1400 calories of delicate, crackling deliciousness.
    I have also increased my consumption of animal protein, in the form of eggs. It is a cheap form of protein, and with the strength training I have been doing, I know I need to be consuming at the very least about 60 grams of protein a day. Hemp and brown rice protein powders are not cheap. Neither is pea protein, which does odd things to my digestive tract, although it is tasty. And I avoid too much soy, since I worry it will do freaky things to my already freaked out hormones. Yes, I do consume a variety of plant based proteins with my diet, but I know I can use a bit more than I get with quinoa, beans, and wild grains. I am debating going back to a vegan diet, which held me in good stead through the summer, but I do enjoy my eggs. It is an ongoing dilemma.
    I tell myself that it is the dead of winter, and I am doing far better than years past when my average winter weight gain was about 10 pounds, and I wasn't losing it in the summer. This year I have no doubts that the tow pounds, and then some, will disappear soon enough. I am already ramping up the training a bit, but with increased workouts comes increased appetite. Yes, I am hungry all the time.
     Here is where I get back on track, cutting back the chocolate and chips, and chocolate chips. I may cut out, or at least cut back on the eggs.  I eat clean and healthy, if I don't I pay the price. The new plan is to eat as much as I want of nutritious, clean, nutrient dense foods. That's all. I know my body is pretty good at self-regulating, as long as I am eating clean, fresh, plant based rocket fuel I can eat without restricting intake. As my training increases, I will burn all I eat, and maybe more. It is a balancing act, no doubt about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment