Sunday, February 16, 2014

Food Hangover

    Last night was the awards banquet for my fire district. The food was not what I would normally eat. At all. It was a limited menu, of delicious food, and I went there planning on letting myself eat as much as I wanted of whatever I wanted. Grilled chicken breast (probably the healthiest thing I ate),  prime rib roast (even trimming all the fat, it is still rich beef), mashed potatoes (no doubt made with half and half, and butter), basic green salad loaded with dressing and croutons. I did not eat the dinner rolls, but I did eat 3 of the large, fudge topped brownies and enjoyed every bite of them. I haven't eaten meat since Christmas, when I had some turkey, and I feel loaded down and ten pounds heavier (I know I'm not, but it is how I feel today). I haven't eaten that much sugar in, I can't really remember when. Oh, and by the way, I also had eaten a large amount of dark chocolate earlier in the day, justifying it with, "It is my birthday, and I will do what I want." Honestly, that was depression talking as much as anything. I feel as if I will be spending this coming week making amends to my body for such a cavalier attitude. No, I don't actually regret eating what I did yesterday, I enjoyed it, and it really was my birthday. But my body isn't used to having to deal with such heaviness, I haven't even felt hungry yet today, though I know I should have something healthy, clean, low fat, and low sugar before I start my morning workout. It is funny how the cleaner I eat, the cleaner I have to eat, and the cleaner I want to eat. Okay, time for a vegan green smoothie, plenty of water, and some long cycling.

No comments:

Post a Comment