Monday, February 3, 2014

Back On The Road. Finally

    I finally got Joshua out on the road yesterday. It was dry and almost sunny, but definitely not warm. I don't have proper winter cycling gear, so made do with what I had. My Columbia Titanium shirt is great for running and hiking in the cold, but does not block the wind as well as I could have wished, my torso was fine but my arms got damned cold. The worst part were my feet. Cycling shoes are designed for ventilation in the heat, which means good air exchange for hot, sweaty feet. The problem? When it is 45 degrees outside my feet are neither hot nor sweaty. As a matter of fact, I was only a few miles into my ride before my feet were seriously chilled. By the end of my ride they were numb with cold. Besides minor discomfort from the cold, it was a great, quick 18 mile out and back ride. I originally wanted to do the 25 mile trip from Mulino to Oregon City and back. It is long, decently hard hills, a wide shoulder for bikes, and will make a great training route later. I decided against it though, because of the cold; long, sweaty uphills make for long chill inducing downhills. Instead I took the loop out behind me, into Scott's Mills, back out to the highway, and towards Silverton. It is nice, rolling hills, a few short steeps and some long, grinding slopes. I pushed a bit harder than I would for race pace, but I knew I was only going out for about an hour. It felt good to have the wind in my face, and beautiful country rolling past. It gave my mind time to find some silence, and peace. It has been a rough month or so, and Brain has been in overdrive. I needed a chance to try and regain my balance, the cold air biting my cheeks, and burning my lungs was just the ticket. I do wish I had a cycling buddy, but I think it is best that I am alone, I may not push quite as hard, but my mind can find the quiet it needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment