Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Small Tweaks

    It is no secret that I try to eat as clean as possible. I rarely eat meat, and don't eat processed meats. I can't and don't eat dairy, except for a bit of cheese now and then, which my body tolerates well enough. I am mostly wheat-free, buy organic produce, and eat organic as often as possible. I eat fruit and vegetables every day. My dinner nearly always includes a massive, green smoothie packed with vegan protein, omega-3, and anti-oxidant goodness. I don't eat pre-packaged foods, except for the occasional can of beans. I always eat a good breakfast. I pack a hefty feed bag for work, usually with roasted vegetables, a wild grains and quinoa blend, bananas, raw nuts, and protein bars, so I will never have to go out and try to buy healthy food, or eat junk for second breakfast or lunch. In other words, I am very conscientious of what I put in my body for fuel. I am not saying any of this to boast, or take on  holier-than-thou airs, it is just one more weapon in my arsenal to keep my body functioning at optimal health.
    I am always trying to add small tweaks. As time goes by I think that there can't be much more that I can do, but lately I am finding plenty. Not long ago, since my workout regime has changed from endurance focused to pre-season strength training, I changed my breakfast from a high fiber, complex carb meal to one with higher protein. This doesn't necessarily keep me full longer, I am still hungry again by 10:00, but then I do eat a lot, and frequently. I eat protein as a bedtime snack, knowing that the bulk of recovery and muscle growth occur as we sleep, and the body needs protein to recover properly.
    Six weeks ago I stopped my regular use of NSAID pain relievers. It has been proven that their use can inhibit soft tissue regeneration, and can interfere with muscle recovery and growth. This one has been a bitch and a half, since I have osteoarthritis in most of my joints. My hands and elbows have been particularly tender, and I tend to wake up in the night with something hurting like hell. But it seems to be getting a little better. Instead of pain relievers I have increased my vitamin C and bioflavinoid intake, to help lower inflammation and clear the body of the free radicals produced during workouts. I drink a huge mug of rosemary tea every night since rosemary is said to help with muscles soreness, besides, it is delicious and I can always use the hydration. I eat an anti-inflammatory diet already, and make sure to stay fairly religious to it.
The latest tweak has been to drink a pint of water first thing in the morning. By first thing, I mean before I even get out of bed. After a long night of recovery and regeneration, the body is dehydrated, and a healthy dose of H2O is known to help all the bodily systems wake up and function smoothly. It is also said to help boost the metabolism, but I'm not sure I totally buy into that one, and honestly, my metabolism seems to be firing on all eight cylinders these days.
    So there are a few new tweaks on the road to the Leadman Epic 250K: Bump the protein during the offseason/building phase, with an extra boost before bedtime; no more daily doses of NSAIDS; and hydration upon waking. Not huge, but at this stage of the game, it is the little things. The small tweaks.

No comments:

Post a Comment