Sunday, December 22, 2013

Off Season Training

    My off season training has been, and is going to continue to be heavily slanted towards base building and strength training, which may seem like a no-brainer. I am convinced that the leg cramps I suffered during the run of my 70.3 were due more to lack of a solid running base, than they were to electrolyte issues. Yeah, I'm sure there were some electrolyte issues, but they were minor in the grand scheme of things. Yes, I ran a number of races with longer distances, between 10 and 13 miles, but they weren't on the heels of a 58 mile bike ride, and that is the crux. So, run I must. I have to build a solid base of running endurance if I expect to avoid the same agony I endured in September.
    I am feeling reasonably comfortable with where I am in the water and on the bike. I have been solid in my workouts, adding intensity with speedwork and power bursts. In both of these disciplines I have my I-can-do-this-all-day pace, and had no trouble during my 70.3. None. So I just have to continue to add speed and strength, along with increasing my time spent. I will be adding 2 long rides, and 2 long swims per month, starting after New Year's. Now that I am back to having no social life, I can get to the pool on Saturday mornings and swim for hours if I choose to. The one dilemma I have been having since I stopped being able to swim The Cove, is that I am lucky to have 75 minutes of swim time twice a week. The pool closes at 7 pm, and I can't get there before about 5:30-5:45. I swim until they kick me out, it is a bit of a joke between me and the life guards, they are always so polite, catching my attention with their red rescue float, "Ma'am, it's time." With the weather being absolute shit, it is not likely that I will be cycling anywhere but in my living room. Fortunately I have an excellent trainer to put my bike on, and I can ride whenever I please, which is daily. I had hoped to begin mountain biking through the off season, to really build leg strength, but that has fallen through, so it is just me, Joshua, and the trainer.
    As for strength training, it is vital. I don't think most people realize just how much strength is essential to be strong in what are basically aerobic exercises. Core strength is paramount in all three disciplines, for different reasons. In swimming, you use your core to twist hips and torso to add power to every stroke, instead of having to rely merely on arm strength. In cycling your core stabilizes your torso so you are not wasting energy with unnecessary motion, as well as powers your hips to drive your legs through every rotation of the pedals. In running, a strong core keeps your hips level lessening the chance of IT band or hip flexor strains, and also helps drive your legs, especially once you become fatigued. Muscle strength in all three disciplines keeps the body moving forward, increases endurance, lessens the chance of injury, and gives added muscle rebound in every stroke, pedal, and stride which lessens the amount of energy expended. Strength + Speed = Power. Besides, if there is one area that I am happy to push myself to the point of near-vomiting fatigue, it is strength training. It is one area that I have a considerable well of knowledge and research to draw from, as well as the tools and skills to use them. I love weight training, I always have. And there is a school of thought that you can dramatically reduce the miles needed to base build, if you do explosive weight training. I don't know if I will reduce my mileage much, but I am damn happy to increase weight training.
    I have given a lot of thought to off-season training, and have put thought into action. I have not taken "time off" from my training. I confess, I haven't run much since September, but I have increased my cycling, as well as added intensity and speed drills to both cycling and swimming. I have ramped up my strength training, core workouts, and explosive lifting these last two months. I have added a lot of leg work to my regime, doing strength training specific for runners and cyclists to help build strong, powerful glutes, quads, calves, hamstrings, and pelvic girdle. Tonight, I am all aquiver from a hard hour on the bike, alternating high cadence/easy gear with lower cadence/hard gear, followed by an insanely intense upper body and core workout. I topped it off with yoga, while downing a beautifully green smoothie chock-a-block full of spinach, vegan protein, cherry juice, banana, and an egg thrown in for omega-3s.
     Now to do the one discipline I am not very good at; getting enough sleep. The body needs sleep to heal, rejuvenate, and build muscle. I really need to be more diligent with my Zzzz's.

No comments:

Post a Comment