Wednesday, May 4, 2016

New Bike Seat. Jury's Still Out.

    Last week I got my new bike seat delivered to my door. The ISM Adamo Century. This is one of the split "noseless" seats that are supposed to help take pressure off the perineum aka my delicate girly bits. I have read in reviews that it is important to keep tweaking the positioning to get it right and then it works like a dream. I must not be tweaking correctly.
    The reason I got this particular seat is that with all the time I have spent in the saddle over the last few years I have been experiencing some nerve damage to the aforementioned delicate girly bits. Not to mention the numbness that occurs when I ride more than an hour or so. I don't want to have my bike seat be the cause of incontinence later in life. No sport is worth having to wear a diaper, just sayin'.
    So as always, when a problem arises I search and research. I find reputable sources for information and product reviews and spend a lot of time and effort to learn all I can before making a decision. Partly because I am poor, and a tightwad, so I don't want to be throwing money at a problem and hope that eventually I will stumble upon the right answer. This is how I found the ISM Adamo series of seats. I had seen them before, and have wanted one, but they are pricey. The Century retails for about $200, but thanks to Amazon and last year's model, I got mine for $82 and free shipping. Cheap for a good bike seat, but still more than I like to spend on anything except my mortgage (which is way more than $82, btw).
    Putting a lot of thought into bike set and position I have been thinking that one problem is that my bike frame may be too big for me. Not the height, I have long legs, but the length since I have a short torso. This makes me have to roll forward through the pelvis more so I can't curl back onto my "sit-bones" like I should. Adding to this is the fact that I have what is called a "tipped pelvis." Meaning my pelvis tips forward causing me to have a deeper curve in the small of my back that makes it physically impossible to really roll back onto my sit-bones like I wish I could. This all means that when I ride the bulk of my weight is resting on my pubis bone and the perineum, and these areas are delicate and easily smashed.
    I am still holding out hope that the new Century saddle will be the answer to numbness and nerve damage. I will keep tweaking. I am trying to not think of what it would cost for me to get another bike. besides, I love Joshua and don't want to give up on him, we have had some excellent adventures together.

No comments:

Post a Comment