Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Winter Training

    Winter training is made extra difficult by the desire to stay warm and dry in my home. The short days don't help either, as I want to race home from work to get in a few minutes of daylight before the sun disappears. Not that I would be outside training much in this weather, but it really seems to effect my swim. Weird, I know.
    Monday I had my swim bag, with the best of intentions. A winter storm hit with record rainfall, causing flooding and road closures around the region. I opted to beeline for home after work so I wouldn't get stranded somewhere. Yesterday I had intentions of getting in a swim, since I missed Monday. But the high wind and sheeting rain kept me bunkered in my house. Today, after cleaning up storm damage, we were hit again with hard rain, heavy wind, hail, even a little lightening and thunder. So again, I stayed home. I get a bit fed up with myself, feeling like I am wimping out.
    On the plus side, no swim does not mean no training. Yesterday it was 75 minutes spin, followed by 45 minutes of leg work. The evening was an hour of abs and core. Today it is 60 minute spin, and upper body strength training, and very likely a second spin after drill. Tomorrow is swim with the grandson early, and a second swim in the early afternoon (last Thursday I spent nearly 5 hours in the water). I vow to swim Saturday after work (cross my heart and hope to die).
    I do try to adjust my mindset for winter training. Focus on base building, strength training, flexibility, and technique. I do wish I would hit the pool with better regularity. I do try.

No comments:

Post a Comment