Thursday, December 10, 2015

Count Down Swim Set

    I vowed I would hit the pool today, and I did not disappoint myself. One thing about being self coached is that sometimes you just have to step up and be a hardass. Today I did my absolute hardest swim set. It is hard not because of duration, it is about 70 minutes which is my average, but because of sheer intensity. It is the Broken Endurance Countdown. Sounds simple enough. It goes like this:
    Warm up for 5 laps, I chose breast stroke and back stroke, to hit all the muscles. The main set is all freestyle. The first set is 3 laps each: Cruise - focus on technique; Race Pace; Easy at the walls, Sprint the middle; Begin at Race Pace, build to 90%. Then repeat each set, counting down: 3 laps; 2-1/2 laps; 2 laps; 1-1/2 laps; 1 lap; 1/2 lap. The main set is 42 laps (2100 yards/1.2 miles). Finish up with 4 x 25yd Sprints. * laps with hand paddles. 5 laps cool-down. 62 Laps/ 3100 yards/ 1.7 miles. It is a shoulder burning, near vomit inducing, lung searing swim. I have a Love/Hate relationship with it, for sure.
    It is the kind of swim workout that leaves me starving, and feeling a bit worthless for the rest of the evening. Normally a good swim leaves me invigorated, if a bit fatigued. But not this one. The last few sets it is really difficult to push through the Sprints and the Build to 90%. The saving grace is that each set is a little shorter than the last. So once I reach that point when my shoulder muscles are feeling a bit like trembling, overheated rubber, I am down to just a few short sets.
    As a bit of a hardass coach, I don't let myself rest at the wall, even after the sprints. I make myself power through to the end. One cheat that I do; on the first 25 yards of the Cruise set I will let myself do the backstroke so I can regain my breath from the previous two sets. But I keep moving of Coach will jump my ass.
    I do love swimming. I love the way that I leave the pool feeling a bit like a black hole, with a huge void needing fluids and nourishment immediately. During the second half of most of my swim sessions I am usually thinking very hard about what I will make for dinner, and that there is always a banana for me the minute I get to my car. Tonight I had glorious plans for either yam and black bean chili, and/or my winter vegetable bake. I had all the ingredients for either, or both. Instead, speed won out and I settled for a big skillet of yam hash topped with cheese and 3 eggs over-easy. Still feeling like a black hole I topped it off with an orange, and an apple. I am telling you what, swimming is the greatest appetite elevator I have ever known. When I swim hard, I eat like a teenage boy.... but then, I've earned it.

No comments:

Post a Comment