Sunday, November 30, 2014

Swimming

    I am trying to up the ante with my swimming. In the past I have not been comfortable with swimming so hard that I am pushing my asthma threshold. It is a bit panic inducing to have breathing difficulty when you are in the water, it is too reminiscent of drowning I think. But now, as I become more and more comfortable with my swimming, I am also finding it easier to push myself harder. The last few swims I have really pushed myself. I have been swimming laps with hand paddles and my shorty fins which elevates my heart rate and breathing far beyond my race pace, and the level I have been training at.  Friday I was 22 laps into what would have been my fastest mile ever when I was informed that the gym closed at 8:00 on Fridays (it was 7:55), so I had to stop before I felt finished. I felt robbed. Tonight I headed in for a swim, but didn't feel quite as speedy as I did on Friday. I did push myself hard for the first 30 laps though, until I was having to breath on every stroke instead of every other stroke as I usually do. Then I switched back to strength drills for the remaining 30 laps. My challenge to myself: 10 swims in 14 days, while maintaining my regular workout schedule. With work ramping up for the holidays it is going to be a tiring few weeks. But I do love rising to a challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment