Saturday, November 15, 2014

Must Get Faster

    I am at the computer searching for articles on ways to improve my performance next season. I must get faster. Absolutely must. In the swim, the bike, and the run. But especially on the bike. I have heard all too often, "It is not the bike, it is the rider." Well, g'damn it I wish I could blame it on the bike, but I know it is me. Oh I am sure there are things I could do to Joshua that might let me shave a few seconds here and there, but the reality is that I need to be faster. I knew going into my big event that I had the endurance, just not the speed. For so long I have said that speed is not my strength, my strength is my strength. I am a strong swimmer and cyclist. I do have excellent endurance and can find that "I can do this all day" pace. But that is not good enough. I got a DNF because I could not finish the bike leg in the time allowed. I knew going into the event that it would be a miracle for me to manage the 138 miles in less than 9-1/2 hours. I do wish I had found out what the time limit was a lot earlier in my training, it might have made me add more speed work to my training. Or not. I had to focus on base building. I followed my training plan religiously, taking the advice to go easy on the bike to save energy for the run. That is advice that crops up again and again in Ironman training, you have to go easier on the bike than you think you should because you have to get off the bike and run. But now I know, I still need to be faster. I don't know if I need another bike, not that I can afford one anyway (but a girl can dream), or if there are things I can do to Joshua to help improve our performance. He is a good, basic road bike. I just need to be faster all around.
    I am working diligently on my strength training, since it is technically my off-season. I know that strength and power are key in both speed and endurance. I have always kept up a decent level of strength training, but in the past I have focused more on core and upper body strength which is vital to all three disciplines. Now I haev added a considerable amount of leg work. I make sure to have two days at the gym that are dedicated leg days with squat, lunge, deadlift, leg press, leg curl, leg extension, jump squat, wide squat, split squat, and a plethora of other leg exercises and stretches. I am also doing one day on the track with running drills aimed at strength and speed work. I do love the running drills; sprint, skip, high knee, butt kick, leap, crossover stride, and square hop. I am adding hill repeats to the mix starting tomorrow. I haven't been cycling as much lately, letting myself have a bit of a break, but I will be adding tabata drills, and threshold speedwork to try and make my legs get faster. I have to be faster. It is not an option, it is a requirement.
    Off-season is not easy for me, but it is the time to research and study, seek new ways to train. I know I can improve my times,

No comments:

Post a Comment