Tuesday, September 10, 2013

What Next?

    It is not here yet, but I am pretty sure it is on the way. Post Event Depression. I have had such a specific focus for so long I almost feel like the rug has been yanked out from underneath me. To head off a potential crash I am already formulating my next epic adventure. As a matter of fact, I have been eyeballing a few things for quite some time. I knew that once I had completed The Big One I would have to have another focal point or I would likely flounder. I think I have found next seasons grand finale: The Leadman Epic 250K Triathlon in Bend. It is 155.3 miles and distributed differently from traditional "Ironman" events. The traditional Ironman is 140.6 miles: 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike ride, 26.2 mile run. Exactly twice the distance of each event I did on saturday, which was a true "Half-Ironman" distance. The Leadman is a 3.1 mile swim, 138 mile bike, and a 13.7 mile run. This appeals to me since it puts more importance on my 2 best disciplines: swim and bike. I can definitely get in the pool time, and open water swims again all through next summer. I also may have found a cycle training buddy that would very likely whip my ass into shape on the roads, as well as be able to give me excellent advice.
    The Epic 250 may be my grand finale, but I have other events I will want to add to the schedule. I will do another Half-Ironman, with the goal of a sub 7 hour finish. I think that is very doable. I would also like to get in a few longer trail runs. I did two trail half-marathons this year, and know I could do better. There is a 25K mud run at Hagg Lake in February that I wanted to hit this year, but was neck deep in firefighter academy at the time. I am really considering a 50K trail ultra-marathon, but know I would really need to get my base built up for that.
    I am already looking ahead and mentally reworking my training schedule to add more legwork, plyometrics, and CrossFit Endurance workouts. I know my knees would implode if I ran as much as I should to be putting myself through these events, so I have to find alternatives. It has been shown that the explosive, strength training workouts of CrossFit can build endurance as well as strength. And can take the place of some of the mileage needed to be a decent endurance athlete. The one negative aspect that the trainers came up with is that it does not train your mind for the long hours spent on your feet, and inside your head. Fortunately, I am very good at being inside my own head.
    Nothing is set in stone. But I am looking ahead, planning, scheming, plotting, all in an effort to make sure I can stay on an even keel through the winter. I want a challenge on the books for next year. A lofty goal to make me push myself, reach for the gold ring. The Epic 250K is right up my alley.

No comments:

Post a Comment