Wednesday, September 4, 2013

The Homestretch

    This week, with just a few remaining days until The Big One, my mantra has been more like, "Just stay healthy and whole, don't fuck this up now." Seriously. I feel like I am weighing the risks of everything I do, and everything I eat. If I were just a touch more neurotic I might sequester myself away, bar the doors, turn off the phone, and spend the remaining days in meditation and very careful Yoga. Okay, not really, but that is the plan for Friday.
    Last night was my final open water swim. The water was glorious, if a bit murky, and my body felt great. I did not want to get out of the water, but had promised myself that I would only swim 30 minutes. Yes, I pouted. To add insult to injury, the other, lone swimmer at The Cove swam my normal circuit, two wide, full laps. I was so jealous I could barely watch. I had to keep reminding myself that in just a few days I will get to swim just about as far as I want to, in a beautiful, hill country lake. But for now, the Selkie suit has to lie dormant for a few days.
    I have done abbreviated workouts every day, aiming at about 20-30% of normal. I have added more Yoga and relaxation, wanting to keep everything as limber as possible. I have to say, every little tweak or stiff muscle has me feeling paranoid though. Yesterday my back was a little tight, likely from weekend antics, so all day I was carefully stretching and sweet talking my dorsi muscles, and a little extra gentle Yoga last night.
    I have been drinking a vegan, protein smoothie every night just before bed. Spinach, banana, pomegranate and black cherry juice, brown rice and hemp protein. I'm staying consistent with my supplements and asthma meds. As much as I keep wanting to try new things, I am not allowing it. Not this week. I am staying the course. Funny thing, my weight is staying at 155, and I realized that it puts me at nearly a 90 pound weight loss. 90 pounds, it boggles the mind. I'm sure I will put a few pounds back on after this is all over, but then again, I may be training for a full Ironman soon. Life is funny that way.
    I did break down and fork out the dough for new Smartwool socks, and Under Armor compression tights. I had planned on these purchases long ago, but just never made the shopping trip. Now, gear is lined up and ready. I also picked up most of the various fuel sources Clif gels and chews, electrolyte water, salt sticks, just gotta get my Sport Beans and I am all set. Tomorrow Joshua gets a bath, wax, and tire pressure check, before one, final, quick road ride to let his newly adjusted wheels relax into shape.
    So, gear is ready, fuel is in the cupboard, my truck Wallace is gassed up and ready, my body is as ready as it will be. It is almost time. The countdown is on. I am heading down the Homestretch. Damn, I'm excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment