Sunday, September 15, 2013

Plan Of Attack

    As obsessive as I am, and you all know just how obsessive that can be, I am already getting excited for next year's challenge: The Leadman Epic 250K Triathlon. I am already starting to mull over a new training regimine, a plan of attack that will have heavy focus on cycling, since I will be facing 138 mile bike ride. I think I may have found a partner in crime to train with, and this makes me even more excited to get underway. I have always trained alone, it is just my way. I like the solitude of solo efforts. Which is part of the appeal of triathlon, it is a solitary endeavor from the moment you set foot on the event ground. But I know that having a training partner that shares my mindset, and has experience in road racing, will push me to go further and faster than I am likely to do on my own. Don't get me wrong, I can, and do, push myself far and hard. No one can say I don't train with diligence, that I don't push myself damned hard, that I am not disciplined. But I like the idea of having just a bit of the whip to make me truly reach deep within my soul to find out just how much more I can push.
    Above and beyond road miles, I will be upping the ante with some serious CrossFit and Tabata style training. This style of workout involves going through a series of strength exercises, doing as many reps as possible in 20 seconds, rest 10 seconds, move on to the next exercise, continuing for 5 to 7 sets. I am already making a mental list of workouts to build strength and explosive power. I will be adding plenty of (or should I say, "even more"?) plyometrics, legwork, and core strengthening. I am planning on revamping my garage for some serious heavy work, and continuing to abuse my living room with all the gear I have piled up there. I will be increasing my upper body work, and adding more speedwork at the pool to get ready for a 3+ mile swim. That is a damned long swim. I know it will be difficult for me to increase the time I spend working out, so I need to increase the intensity. Work harder and smarter.
    I have over a year to be ready for The Leadman, and I plan on competing in at least one 70.3 next year, if not several. A year seems like a long time at this moment, but I know from the season that is winding down that the year goes by damned fast. Time to get training.

No comments:

Post a Comment