Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Strength Work

    Getting my training back on track after the holidays. It wasn't so much the holidays as it has been the weather. We have had snow and ice hitting every week, effectively keeping me housebound several days each week. Then the pool lost power for a few days, closing it, and when it reopened the water was too freaking cold for me to swim (yes, I am a wimp about swimming in cold water).
    My biggest focus over the last month or so has been strength training. I am swimming regularly, trying to increase my swims to 4 or 5 a week. I was successful with this, until the weather started crimping my style. So, strength training has been my go-to, since I can do it at home, or when the pool is too cold.
    I have been finding motivation watching Crossfit competitions. No, I don't do Crossfit, and have no plans to take it up. It is, however, an amazing display of overall fitness, and a great motivation while training. It has been great to watch while strength training, it is encouraging me to push harder and longer, which is exactly what I need right now.
    With the various injuries and such that I have struggled with over the last 2 years I know that muscle strength is my best defense, and best route to being able to increase training without further injuries. I have reached a point that I am not sure if I can continue with long course triathlon, my joints really object to running. It may be a pipe dream, but I am hoping that with all the proper strength training and conditioning that I might be able to return to running. Hopefully. If not, my alternate plan is distance swimming, and distance cycling. Regardless of where my endeavors take me, I know that strength will help me get there.
    I have often said, "My strength is my strength." For many people their strength is their speed, or their massive endurance, or a lifetime in their sport. For me it is my strength. My strength lets me power through tough sessions and distances. My strength also increases my endurance. I found a note to myself that said, "Power is work over time." Strength training is part of the process.
    So, for now, while it is cold, icy and grey outside, I will lift and train. I will use bands, kettlebell, barbell, and weight machines. I will use all the tools I have at my disposal to build my body's arsenal. My strength is my strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment