Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Fuel For Thought

    Nutrition, or as I like to think of it, Rocket Fuel, is vital to keeping my body functioning. Especially as, I hate to admit, I get older,  I am staring down the barrel of double-nickels, 55. 55!! Fifty. Five. Yikes!!! But age is not the topic here today, only as a peripheral aspect of nutrition.
    As everyone knows, the holidays are a tough time to keep on track with decent eating. I know that fighting against the desire to sample the tasty delights of the season is not worth the stress and angst. So I indulge. I do try to limit it to one or two days of gluttony. But I feel the residual effects. Too much sugar, wheat, and butter (yummmmm) and I am approaching the New Year feeling a bit gruesome. So as I finish out 2016 I am regaining my footing, and getting back on track. After all, a few days of slipping off the wagon is not a calamity (a full month might be catastrophic, but still not insurmountable). With Christmas only 2 days behind us I am already focusing on plant based nutrition, which is actually my norm... so I guess I'm saying, I am back to normal after 2 days off.
    This morning I made one of my favorite breakfast dishes. A concoction I made up a few months ago, and wonder why I didn't figure it out sooner. Yams, quinoa, and rolled oats. Yeah, a little weird, but not really. This is how it goes:
                                       YAM & OATS ala Deasal
     
       1 small Yam, peeled and grated
       1/4 cup Quinoa, rinsed
       2 cups Water
       2/3 cup old fashioned Rolled Oats
       Handful of chopped dried fruit (I like apple)
       Handful of Raisins (I get to use my own homegrown... super yum)
       Dash of Salt
       1 tsp Vanilla

    Cook Yam, Quinoa, and Water in saucepan: bring to boil on medium high, immediately reduce heat to gentle simmer. Cook about 20 minutes until yams are cooked and quinoa has sprouted its little tail. Stir in Vanilla, Dried Fruit, and Raisins. There should be at least a cup of liquid still in the mix (kind of soupy) if not, add a little. Stir in Oats, increase heat to bring to a boil, then reduce heat to gentle simmer. Cook for about 5 minutes, keeping an eye on the moisture, add a little if needed to keep it from scorching. When liquid is absorbed, and oats, cooked, remove from heat and let stand a few minutes.
    Eat as is, if that is your inclination. Me, I like to dress it up a bit. My usual is to stir in a little brown sugar or agave nectar, and a sliced banana. Then I shake some brown rice protein powder into almond milk to pour over it all Sometimes, if I am feeling a little wild and reckless I will add a spoonful of peanut butter.
    This is a very flexible food, add or subtract as you desire, or to go with ingredients on hand. I've added chopped nuts, coconut oil, hemp seed, sunflower seed, pepitos (shelled pumpkin seed), maple syrup... the options are endless, and delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment