Sunday, April 10, 2016

Whatever It Takes

    March and April are traditionally my toughest months. This is the time of year I fight against Winter depression. Yes, I know that Spring is just around the corner, the rains will end, the sun will return. Already the days are getting longer, and we have been blessed by some warm weather that warmed me to my bones.
    This year has an added touch of toughness for me, it has been a year of injury. I could almost title it The Year of Injury. It started last June when I hurt my knee and elbow at the Mount Hood Scramble. Since then it has been one thing after another. Despite approaching my training with an eye towards physical therapy, and run specific strength training, every time I try to start running something new flares up. The last six months or so I have had foot pain that can only be arthritis, since it is consistent and in the same few joints. Knee pain is minor, and kept at bay with good technique. A few weeks back I tweaked my back, likely from heavy lifting at work while having tight hamstrings and quads from Leg Day. Last week it was my right hip that got angry when I went running. Now, to top it off, I managed to gash open my shin with a scythe. Yes, a scythe. A full blown Grim Reaper scythe. I got it out to cut some tall grass and managed to trip over the damned thing. But it has been a long chain of one injury after another. It is discouraging.
    To combat this I have pulled out my favorite race shirts and have been wearing them every day. My very favorite is from the Leadman, it is red, and silky soft cotton. Wearing race shirts always gives me a gentle reminder of what I am capable of, despite the long litany of pain and injuries.
    I've also been streaming Ironman and running documentaries for inspiration. I'm not sure if it is good for me or not to watch the professionals, and their fluid running styles, and record setting times. Or seeing the age-groupers crossing the finish line, people older and heavier than I am. How the hell do they manage to run without breaking? Am I just not cut out to ever run? I hate to think that is the reality. I know, I know, my physical therapist said I should "never run more than the occasional 5K." But I managed to run relatively pain free every year but these last 12 months. I don't know what has changed. Anyway, inspirational documentaries, streaming, almost non-stop this week.
    The one area that seems to be solid is my swimming. Thankfully. I have to make myself not over-train, because I want to push myself hard and fast. I'm swimming 4 times a week, with a strength training session after the Saturday and Tuesday swims, as well as one more session of heavy lifting mid-week. I have upped my protein and reduced my carbs, although heavy swim sessions always make me feel like a bottomless pit.
    Despite the whisper of Winter blues I am managing to get through this winter easier and saner than any Winter for the last 15 years or so. I know it is partially because of awareness, and the ability to head it off before it gets full-blown. Training always helps. Having a major event goal is a plus too, hoping for the Bridge Swim, as well as a half-Iron in September. Until then, I will wear race shirts and watch other people race. Whatever it takes.

No comments:

Post a Comment