Sunday, April 10, 2016

Tai Chi

    Because I didn't have a full enough training schedule, I have added Tai Chi to my life. It started a couple of months back when I was feeling dispirited about my running injuries and pain. I wanted something that would help my strength and flexibilty, and that I knew I would be able to do for the rest of my life. I have skirted around the edge of Tai Chi over the years. Back in January I decided to buy a dvd on Amazon: Scott Cole's Tai Chi for Fitness. From the first time I went through the routine I was smitten. Both with Tai Chi and the instructor, who is positive, encouraging, humorous, spiritual, and more than a bit dorky. Yes, it is a dvd, but there are times when I need to hear someone, anyone, tell me, "You are doing great." Cole has a gentle voice and speaks of self appreciation, love, peace, and fitness.
    This particular Tai Chi routine focuses a lot on upper body flexibility. The day after a hard swim (which seems like most days, lately) it encourages me to really open up my tight chest and shoulder muscles. There is continual movement, spiraling and flowing, stretching and balancing. For a solid hour I get to move my body in ways that help reduce soreness, and increase flexibility and circulation. I especially love this on Sunday morning, because Saturday is a hard swim, followed by upper body strength training.  Hugely important are controlled breathing and the flow of energy. It is revitalizing body, mind and soul.
    There is also a meditative and spiritual element that is so poignant that at the end of the workout I feel a slight spark of tears, just from the emotional and spiritual depth. Yes, I admit, I have a crush on the instructor.
    I am hoping to learn the routine well enough that I can do it anywhere, on my own (although I would miss Cole's monologue). I am planning on making a special spot in the backyard, with smooth ground and fine grass so I can have an outdoor Tai Chi area... if I can keep the dogs from mangling it.

No comments:

Post a Comment