Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Tri Bikes

    Why is it that the less money I have, the more intrigued I am with the thought of having a full-fledged, dedicated triathlon bike? A freaky aspect of tri bikes is the ridiculous amount of money one can spend on them. A $5,000 bike is middle of the road, a $10,000 bike is not that unusual, whereas finding one for under $1000 is a miracle. I know it is said, "It's not the bike, it is the rider," when it comes to speed, power, and endurance on the bike. But I know too, that the right bike can increase aerodynamics, add power, and reduce fatigue, leaving legs in better shape for the run. I have a great road bike that was a custom build by a guy that built triathlon and racing bikes. True, he built it for his father-in-law who rode it a few times before hanging it in his garage to collect dust. A terrible fate for any good bike. I love my road bike, and (as many of you may know) I named him Joshua, after General Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain, hero of Gettysburg. But last year I was saving money to buy a dedicated tri bike, then used the money for family instead. Now, here I am, making less money than I have in decades, and here I am perusing the ads for used tri bikes.
    I can't help it. I am getting excited about training again. I am excited about next season. I am looking forward to the near mind numbing dedication of full on training. I am pouring over ads for used bikes, my eyes caressing the curves and lean lines of carbon fiber frames and aerodynamic wheels. My brain is swollen with names like Cervelo, Shimano, Talon, Kestrel, Kuota, Guru, Specialized, Giant, Trek. I am dazzled by components, intrigued by saddles, enamored of crankshafts and cartridges.  I don't know how I will manage it, but I know I will have to find a way to scrape together the money to buy a bike next spring. Until then I will continue to research, dream, fantasize, and train my ass off on my beloved Joshua. No bike could ever take his place, we have been through so many adventures together, but I think he needs a buddy.
    Another point, my bike search last year was what made me start to envision writing a book, "Triathlon on the Cheap: A Broke Girl's Guide to a Spendy Sport." I have only written the forward and first chapter. I am beginning to think it is time to revisit that particular venture.

No comments:

Post a Comment