Sunday, October 18, 2015

Race Goals

    I am beginning to adjust plans for next race season. I contacted the corporation that is the official sponsor for the Epic 250K, just on the offhand chance that it might resume next year. It won't. The Bend race is officially kaput. Although I was hopeful, I wasn't surprised.
    My tentative plan has been to do the Anvil at Hagg Lake. The only Iron distance event in my region. It has a fatal flaw: it is held on a short course. What this means is that the bike and run legs are multiple laps over the same course. Yes, it is pretty enough. I've run the 10 mile road around the lake (placed second in my division, by the way). But the idea of doing lap after lap, despite how scenic, just sounds tedious to me. Where is the adventure?! That was one of the allures of the Epic 250K, it was a hard course through rugged country, with weather that could have been anything from heat to snow, frigid mountain lake, steep hills, gorgeous panoramic views of Central Oregon. It was an Epic adventure. Even my training trips to bike the course were mini adventures. I want that out of an Iron distance event. I don't want to bike or run laps. I don't want to push my body to the limit just to prove I can. I want an adventure. So, I don't think I will be doing the Anvil.
    Where does that leave me? Without an Iron distance, obviously. At least for 2016. My new plan is to compete in two half-Iron races. One in early summer, and then the Best in The West in mid-September. Last year there was a half-Iron in the Portland area. Not a spectacularly awesome course, but a decent one along the Columbia. The Best in The West is in beautiful hill country, and the lake is gorgeous. When I did the event two years ago the swim was so fantastic that all I could think was, "This is my best swim  EVER."   Over and over.
    With all this in mind, my plan is to truly compete. Not just to race the course for my own entertainment. But to push myself to my limits, and see just how fast I can go. I want to finish mid-pack at the very least. I want to place in my age group. To this end I will be working on my speed and stamina. Fartleks,Tabata workouts, and High Intensity Interval Training will be the norm.  Last year, I trained to for absolute endurance, not speed. It cost me in the end. I had plenty of stamina and energy, but not enough speed to make the cutoff times. I know I could have done the course in its entirety though, I just needed another hour. Next year will be different.
    So, that is the plan. I have my training concepts forming already. It will be different than my past years as I built base and endurance. True, my endurance is not what it was last year, but few people can maintain that kind of body pounding for long periods of time. Honestly, I know I could very likely do a half-Iron tomorrow, though my run would suffer. In two months I could be race ready, but not fast. But in nine months I will be ready to kick ass and take names. Nine months. Now I have a goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment