Friday, January 30, 2015

Damned Virus

    I admit, my training has taken a bit of a hit the last two weeks. Ten days ago was the memorial gathering for my Grandmother, and that led to a whole week of family stuff, which threw a bit of a rock in the cogs. Just as I think things are getting back on track I come down with the most heinous cold/flu I have had in a decade. Generally, I am not one to allow a mere virus to get in the way of my training, but this is different on a number of levels. On the community service level, I don't want to spread my disease so I have avoided the gym. On the realistic level, it is making me feel a bit like I was rode hard and put away wet. On the yes-I-can-have-common-sense level, I know better than to put in a hard cardio workout which could have me sucking phlegm even deeper into my lungs. So my last run was Tuesday morning, just before the bug got its claws into me. My last swim was Saturday, and it was a good hard swim. Yes, I did do an hour of cycling and an hour of upper body/core conditioning Wednesday evening, and this morning I opted for 60 minutes of incline walking at 3.5 mph on the treadmill. I wanted to do cycling and legwork tonight, but don't feel up to full strength. I'm telling you, all I really want to do is eat carbs, drink copious amounts of herbal tea with honey, and sleep. I have slept 11 hours a night all week, which is not my style. I try to tell myself it is what my body needs, but g'damn it, I don't have time for this shit. I was already feeling like my training was slipping, then to go and get a bug on top of it. Not fair! I have to keep reminding myself that if I push myself too hard I will likely just be sick longer. The bugs going around this winter are evil little bastards that are really getting their hooks in people and not giving in without a fight.
    The best I can do is keep fueling for performance. I made a pot of veggie soup with garlic, onions, ginger, curry, cayenne, turmeric, and high protein pasta, and have been feeding off of it for two days. I've been religious about my spinach, blueberry, banana smoothies with mulberry/cranberry juice and vegan protein to make sure I"m getting the anti-oxidents and veggies I need. I've been drinking an herbal tea specific to immune boosting called, "Gypsy Cold Remedy" (it is delicious with honey btw). I roasted beets and yams so I can eat good carbs. And I admit, I am eating too much protein granola, but it is delicious. I know I am likely overeating since I am not training up to par, but I have to tell myself that for a few days it is okay to feed a cold. Just another day or two and I should be back to snuff. Hopefully. Damned virus.

No comments:

Post a Comment