Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Closer and Closer

    24 hours left before I need to be packed to head out of town and I can't quite wrap my brain around everything that needs doing. Yes, I've made lists, and run through all the scenarios in my head a thousand times. Yes, I do have most of my gear packed into a convenient bin, each discipline with its own bag, and a separate bag for cold/wet weather cycling gear. Of course, since I invested about $50 into special gear for cold, wet weather it does look like the weather is going to be just about picture perfect: morning lows in the 40's, highs in the upper 70's. I can't ask for better, really.
    I am winding down on my workouts now. Last night was my second to last swim in The Cove, and although only about 3/4 of a mile, it was a near perfect swim. I piled on all the extra gear I will need to fend of the chill, and even so, the water is now cold enough to make me gasp when I slip in. But the afternoon was hot and calm, the surface of the water was smooth as glass. The extra gear kept me deliciously comfortable as I slid through the water, feeling smooth and effortless. It was the perfect confidence boost I needed. I ran for a bit after, but a large forest fire burning about 20 miles to the east made for poor air quality, so I kept my run short, and filled in with plenty of stretching. I think I have perfected my swim gear, relieving me of the fear of freezing my ass off during the 5K swim. I will swim once more, tomorrow, another easy 3/4 mile swim, to keep my muscles loose, and my mind happy.
    In 48 hours I will be settled into my motel room, likely fidgeting, feeling amped up, and possibly a little nauseous. I still can't quite wrap my brain around the fact that four days from now, from this very minute, I will be running the last few miles of the race, finally truly understanding what it means to "Give 100 percent." So close.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment