Saturday, July 5, 2014

Enjoy The Journey.

    Slowly building my time and distance, but it isn't easy. My body rebels against me, and I don't blame it. My current workout schedule is a bit neurotic, as it must be at this point: Swim 3 times per week, run 5 times per week, cycle 4 to 6 time per week, strength training and core work twice a week. That is, let's see... 14+ workouts a week, and about 20+ hours a week. Damn. But I am making it work. I am swimming 2 miles on the nights I do technique drills, and 2-1/2 miles on my straight up distance swim. I am running after every swim session, not far, about 3-1/2 miles, as well as running after every cycling session. When I run after my long bike I only run for 10 to 20 minutes, not wanting to abuse my body too much. I want to be boosting my cycling time more, right now my long rides are just under 4 hours and about 55 miles, mostly hills. Today I had mapped out a 78 mile ride, but Mapquest lied, it was only 50 miles. It was probably for the best, as my right knee decided to start giving me grief at about mile 45. If the knee seems okay tomorrow I will try to get in another longer ride, maybe 3 hours or so. I have got to get my miles up! I had told myself I needed to be able to do 100 miles with relative comfort by mid to late July. I am running out of time. I will be disappointed if I can't manage to get my body to cooperate for this race, I have invested a lot of time and energy. Don't get me wrong, I love the investment of both time and energy, but I will feel like I failed. Like I didn't train hard enough, or push myself far enough.
    But you know, as I train I can't help but think how much I am enjoying this journey. Yes, it is difficult. Yes, I am pushing myself further and harder than I thought imaginable. In the process I have discovered just how motivated I am, even if it does border on the compulsive. I am tired all the time, but it is a well earned fatigue. I wake in the night and my muscles feel hot, nearly burning, but it is not an unpleasant sensation. It is as if my muscles are regenerating, and glowing with the effort. I love that I train alone, with little distraction. This is all on me, there is no one else to factor in, either as a support network, or as an unknown element that might derail me. I love the solitude, the time spent inside my own head as my body toils and sweats. I count cadence; swim stroke, run pace, pedal speed. The counting, the metered rhythm, is soothing, peaceful, calming. There is a Zen to all of it, it is my meditation. I don't wear headphones when I run or bike, I don't want the distraction of music, instead I listen to my body. I hear what it has to say, we interchange information on speed, tempo, rhythm, breathing. I feel my heart and lungs working in harmony. I truly am enjoying this journey, no matter what the end result.

No comments:

Post a Comment