Sunday, May 18, 2014

Like Having a Second Job

    I am a little dissatisfied with my ability to increase training time. I do blame life for interfering, just a bit, it is difficult to slate enough time at the end of the day, and to have enough energy after a 9 hour day on my feet. But that is just an excuse, a flimsy excuse. This last week I did manage a few decent bricks. Tuesday I swam 2 miles, with over a half mile of individual medley in the middle (alternating laps breast stroke, back stroke, and crawl). I followed the swim with a 3-1/2 mile run. My legs and body felt, but pollen was making my asthma freak out just a bit. I kept a moderate pace, and practiced the run/walk protocol that I will likely be using in the Epic 250K (run 10 minutes, fast walk 30 to 60 seconds), this does help keep an asthma attack at bay, mostly. I do hate that I have to run at what I call my "asthma threshold," it keeps me from being able to pick up my pace. And, oddly enough, I have noticed that 3 miles is about the limit of how far I can run before I feel the throat constriction begin. Always, 3 miles. It is weird.
    Wednesday I managed to slip in a 60 minute gearing pyramid on the bike before having to head to the station for drill. I know a lot of people probably wonder why I spend so much time cycling indoors with my bike up on the trainer. It is simple: time. The area that I live is not a very safe spot for cycling; narrow country roads with absolutely no shoulder, high traffic, log trucks, farm equipment, rednecks in giant 4 wheel drive trucks.  So in order to ride I have to load my bike in the truck, drive to a different local, and ride out from there which is not an option after work (besides, my dogs have been home alone all day, and I don't like to leave them in the evening). Yes,, I will be doing this, starting next weekend, as a matter of fact. But for now, if I want to get in bike time, it is indoors or nothing. Next weekend I will be doing the long hill ride on Highway 213 between Molalla and Oregon City. Long, long hills. Great training for the ride around Mount Bachelor that I will be doing in September.
    Thursday I had another nice brick. I swam 90 minutes, doing a power pyramid; 15 laps of varying stroke style to warm up, then with hand paddles 50 yards easy/50 yards hard, then 100 yards, 150 yards, and 200 yards. Followed by 200 easy, then same power pyramid with no hand paddles. Finished up by swimming regular to finish up 2 miles. Came home and did a 60 minute bike gearing pyramid.
    I admit, friday was a tough day all around, I came home with the intentions of getting in a solid bike workout, but my mom showed up. I did manage 60 minutes of high cadence/moderate gear before just throwing int the towel. I did start saturday with a solid 2 hours on the bike, and 2 sets of gearing pyramids. I pushed myself hard. I followed this with a day of hard yardwork, so I figured that would substitute for an upper body/core workout.
    I guess I shouldn't be so hard on myself, I am getting in a lot of solid workouts. But, g'damn it, I just don't know if it will be enough. Training at this level, even though I know I need to increase my time and output, is already like having a second job. Don't get me wrong, I am loving it. I have found a sport that suits my introverted, loner nature to a tee. But the dedication required is immense, and it has to take precedence over so many other activities. I have even found myself thinking of more mundane activities as, "Should I do that? It might strain my shoulder, or knee, or roll an ankle, that would set back my training." This year I am limiting how many events I enter; no obstacle course races, no trail half marathons, few trail races. Each of these poses a bit of a threat, having injured myself last year with a rolled ankle and various muscle strains that I know caused some problems when the time came for my A Race. This year I have to stay focused. This year, my scope of training has narrowed, intensified, and become dialed in for a very specific outcome. Like I said, it is like having a second job.

No comments:

Post a Comment