Saturday, May 10, 2014

Back To Backs

    One way to cheat time just a little are Back To Back workouts. It is difficult for me to have a much needed four hour block of time for a cycling workout, but by splitting it into two workouts of two hours, performed within about 12 hours of each other, I can get a similar benefit. I've been following this practice for several months now, and I can definitely tell it is helping me increase my stamina and endurance. An added bonus is that since I am still restricted to indoor workouts at this point (which is changing as of next weekend, I hope) it is really difficult for me to cycle for longer than about two hours without about losing my mind. Indoor cycling is boring. Boring. B-o-r-i-n-g. But, indoor cycling makes me pedal at a high cadence, mashing a high gear, nonstop. It is great endurance training. Nonstop pedaling doesn't happen out on the road, there is always coasting at some point, if you go up a hill, you have to come down. It is said that the energy expenditure for cycling indoors for two hours is the same as cycling on the road for three hours. Last night I did a strong two hours, and my legs felt great. I felt strong and tireless. This morning I got on the bike and did 90 minutes, again, feeling strong and tireless.
    I have been fretting a little about getting my cycling up to the needed volume. A mountainous 138 mile ride is waiting for me at the end of summer, and I will be hard pressed to build my base enough to be ready. 138 miles is a long, damned ride. Twice around Mount Bachelor. That means climbing to the summit twice. It will be brutal, there is no way around that. Brutal, but not impossible. I have been doing a lot of gearing pyramids in 5 minute sets: 4 minutes high cadence high gear, 1 minute lower gear, increasing one gear each set. It is good for building climbing strength and increasing muscle endurance. But I need to get out on the road, start hitting some long climbs. Highway 213 between Mulino and Interstate 205 is all long climbs or long descents, and is a 17 mile round trip. It also has a good, safe shoulder, unlike the rest of 213. That is on my agenda for hill practice. At several points this summer I will have to make the trip to Central Oregon and ride the route, get an idea of what I'm getting myself into. I did this for my 70.3 last year and it alleviated a lot of my concerns about the bike leg. Until then though, I will continue with my Back To Backs, add in some long road rides, and get in my hill climbing. If I put my head down, get serious about long rides, I know I can do this. 138 miles? Yeah, I got this.

No comments:

Post a Comment