Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Taper *grumble grumble* Taper

    I do not like to Taper. This summer I haven't tapered for a single event, instead taking on each event as just a long workout day. I do not slow down, take down time, relax, take it easy. It is so hard for me to cut workouts short, knowing I should, but feeling pouty about it the whole time. But now, it really is going to be vital that I am well rested and recovered in 18 days. I am shortening my workouts, but upping the intensity a bit. Tonight I cycled for 45 minutes, half my normal time, but I was adding 1 minute hard sprints every few minutes. I followed up with 45 minutes of leg and core work, and stretching. I have added single legged squats, and isolated calf raises to maintain strength without adding too much more wear and tear. I am really working my core, knowing that by the time I hit the halfway point through the half-marathon I am going to need all the muscle I can muster to get me through the last 6 miles. But all this means I have to taper, I have to stop doing double workouts, 3 hours of training in one big bite, pushing myself to the point of nausea, reveling in sore muscles, telling myself, "Just one more set." *Sigh* I miss it already. I do not like to taper, but I tell myself I must. I can't ruin a year of training in the last few weeks. I am already having anxiety that I won't be ready, that I didn't train enough. But I know I trained as hard as was possible with the time frame my life allowed. Less than three weeks and I will toe the line, find out if I did train enough, fuel properly, taper well. Though I do not like to taper.

No comments:

Post a Comment