Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Athlete Without a Sport

    Lately I have been feeling like an athlete without a sport. That may sound a bit dramatic since I obviously am always training. Yes, I want to do long distance swimming, but the available events are few and far between, and also contingent on water health and weather. I want to train for triathlon, but that is contingent on my own joint health and managing to stay injury free for an entire season.
    My younger son has been participating in Historical European Martial Arts, aka HEMA. It is sword fighting, with real swords. Not the heavy armored combat I used to do, where weapons were rattan, and heavy and cumbersome. HEMA has less armor, and the weapons, though steel, are lighter, hence, easier on my joints (maybe). I admit, I am sorely tempted. I like the idea of getting back into an intensely physical sport that is pared down to its essentials. No energy and emotion spent on the trappings, the politics, the cliques. Just fighting, plain and simple.
    I don't know if I will pursue it any further than sparring with my son and daughter-in-law. It is not like I really have a lot of spare time to add in another training regiment. But I will say, my shoulders and core strength are a lot better today then they ever have been.
    I dunno, just pondering possibilities. Like I said, I am feeling like an athlete without a sport, which is leaving me feel like I am floundering a bit. I will keep casting about, looking for that certain something that will keep the spark kindling bright. For now, that may be steel.

No comments:

Post a Comment