Thursday, November 19, 2015

Oh. My. Glutes.

    Oh. My. Glutes. Nothing like the day after leg day to really make you appreciate the ability to sit down without wincing. And my abs are still whining from Tuesday. I am pushing my strength workouts a bit more these days, as well as extending time and intensity on the bike and in the pool, and feeling it. Does it hurt? Only when I move. Or breathe. I wake in the middle of the night with my muscle feeling like they are on fire. It is a curious sensation, as if there is an electrical current running through me, vibrating my muscles, setting them on fire. Almost painful, definitely uncomfortable, and it happens almost every single night. It has been a familiar companion for the better part of two years, whenever my training is intense. I try to think of it as if my muscles are just regenerating.
    In all reality though, I am feeling g'damned good about where I am and where I'm going. I had let my training slide just a bit over the summer as I was nursing my knee, and being hyperactive on the home improvement front and architectural salvage arena. In other words, I was busier than shit with hard physical labor despite a gimpy knee. Looking at the piles of brick, concrete block, and lumber I can honestly say that I salvaged tons of material. Literally tons. My property will be the winner over the next few years as I build my own personal Eden, and my body will reap the benefit as well. There really is nothing quite like hard labor tossed into the training mix. It is like CrossFit with a purpose. Farmer's Walk? Hells yeah! You try schlepping armloads of brick, or concrete pier blocks up hill, stack 'em in a truck, then unload and haul by the wheelbarrow load to the back of the house. Now that  is a Farmer's Walk.
    Then, just for giggles, add in firefighting. Hah! Now there is a full body workout that will leave your muscles feeling a bit abused for a few days. I can't say I get out on many fires, but it is a similar calorie/energy burn as doing a Half-Iron Tri. It's a hella good workout, with adrenaline tossed in for fun.
    I have been hitting the bike hard these last few weeks. Gearing pyramids, and Tababta workouts, as well as long, steady state spins. I've been judicious about legwork, with a nice squat series, and plenty of stretching. I have become a fan of Naudi Aguilar's Functional Patterns workouts. He stresses natural movement. I am trying to get my legs ready for my return to running. I won't lie, I'm nervous about running. It is the one thing that absolutely plagues me with injuries, and I have no idea how to circumvent the pain. Patellofemoral pain syndrome (aka Runner's Knee) was the villain this last season. Last year I skirted around Itiliotibial Band (IT Band) syndrome all season. The year before it was a strained Piriformis. I keep trying different approaches, but have yet to find a way that I can run consistent miles without totally borking myself. And it pisses me off.
    For the upcoming season I am hoping to have my legs as strong and flexible as possible, then ease into running. I will do a lot of slow miles on a track, or fairly level trail. I am going to be cautious with hills, that is what did me in this year. I will add in some high intensity drills, and really focus on good technique. Shoes have been a bit of a dilemma. I haven't had the chance to run in my Newton's, they have older runners singing their praises as knee saviors in almost every publication I can find. I'll believe it when I feel it. Interesting point: I had far less knee problems in my first two years of tri training, when I was running in absolute bare minimum shoes. I switched to a slightly more padded shoe for my half Iron because I knew I was going to have to be pounding the pavement. I am planning on slipping back to minimal shoes, and see what happens. Hell, maybe this year my knees will be fine but my feet will be in agony.
    So, for now, I will keep up with my squat sets, plyometrics, yoga, and video workouts with Naudi (he is a sexy beast). I'm not sure when or where I will return to a regular running routine. I think it needs to happen soon, though, just in time for the worst weather of the year.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment