Monday, June 9, 2014

Training Trumps Real Life

    As the season progresses, and I have to spend more time training, time management is always on my mind. I find I am having to prioritize in ways I never have before. Oh sure, in the past I have had to adjust my life to make room for hobbies and projects, but this is different on many levels. Not only do I have to try and eke out more minutes in my day for training, my training is reaching the point where I need to have recovery time as well. Yes, I can do lightweight work when I am fatigued from a major training session, but the time will come when I will likely have to sleep to recover, not mow the lawn. I am training 14 to 18 hours a week, as well as working overtime at work on a nearly daily basis, this does not leave a lot of spare time for things like writing, reading, or a social life. So far, I have managed to find some balance, at least between training and keeping my home somewhat in order. "Somewhat" being the key word here. But as the season progresses I will be spending more time training, especially on the weekends, therefore spending less time on pretty much everything else except for work. This is where Training Trumps Real Life. I have to allow myself to train enough hours to succeed, and not feel too much pressure to keep a tidy home and garden. Yes, I am planting plenty of fruit and vegetable plants which will take a certain amount of tending, but I feel that is essential for my health, so actually falls under the auspices of the Fourth Discipline: Nutrition. What this boils down to is a furious need to get my affairs in order before training hits its full head of steam. This is why I have been having manic bursts of activity, trying to get my house and garden in order before summer is upon me, and with it time sucking training sessions like 8 hour bike rides, and 3 hour brick workouts. This won't be easy, but then nothing worth while ever is. I'm gearing up, mentally preparing myself, getting my home squared away, because soon training will trump real life, and all I will be able to do is grit my teeth and go with it. Now, for the Fifth Discipline, the one I am poorest at: Sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment