Saturday, April 26, 2014

Bike Tires and Stuff

    A friend (a very knowledgeable bicycle-geek friend) told me that there is a huge difference in bicycle tires. That the weight and rolling resistance of tires varies greatly and can make a huge difference in how much energy you expend getting from point A to point B. Honestly, I had never given this much thought, thinking a tire was a tire, y'know? Now, as the season begins to ramp up, his words are coming back to me, and I knew that research was needed. The internet is an amazing device, a marvelous mine of information if you can wend your way through the blah blah blah and get to the nitty gritty. I started with reading reviews of racing tires. Three names lead the pack: Continental, Michelin, and Vittoria.
    My bike, my beloved Joshua, was built by a guy that really knew his shit. Joshua has a Bridgestone Mile 112 frame, a "high end Century" frame, which is classed as vintage, but still gets great reviews online for weight, durability and comfort, as well as its basic engineering. The rims are Mavic CXP22 which are nice aluminum alloy rims, with decent aero styling, and given great reviews for durability and for not contributing to flat tire issues. It has the Shimano 105 Groupset (crankset, derailleur, cartridge, click shifters) which ranks pretty high in durability, light weight, crisp and fluid shifting, and overall functionality. Yes, you can spend another $500 on the Ultegra and save 8 ounces, and get a little stiffer cranks, but the 105 set is pretty darn fabulous.     Now, all that being said, and acknowledging that Joshua is pretty damned awesome, I come to the part I have been researching: Tires. Joshua sports the Vittoria Rubino, considered to be a fantastic "training" tire. In other words, it is durable, decently light, and with okay rolling resistance. But, it could be better. After reading multiple reviews from a myriad of sources both high-end mainstream and underground forum, I have decided on the Continental Grand Prix 4000 S. Everything I have read and heard about it class it as a great all around tire: lightweight, low rolling resistance, grippy tread, durability, aerodynamic. It is said to make a great endurance race tire because it is puncture resistant due to its Vectran Belt, which is 5 times tougher than steel. It is a bit spendy, about $70 each, but to me that seems a very low price for what amounts to free speed. Anything that you can do to your bike to make it roll easier is going to save energy and increase speed, hence, "Free Speed." I for one know that when I am on a 100 mile or more ride, anything I can do to save energy is a bonus. And if I don't have to worry about a flat every time I hit some debris on the shoulder, so much the better..
    Now, off the subject of tires, I recently picked up some "gently used" FSA RD-250 ergo handlebars for a super low price on eBay. They have the comfy flat spot in the drop which is going to save me a lot of discomfort on long rides. They weigh next to nothing. I want to get a new, shorter stem before I install them, to shorten my reach just a bit. I do love Joshua's height, which suits my long legs, but the reach to the bars is just a wee bit longer than I would like. I would like to get it done sooner rather than later, but I have to find the right stem. I also have in a bid for a different set of aerobar clip-ons. I currently have the cumbersome, one piece style that are too wide for where my hands want to be. The set I am bidding on are individual bars, so I can adjust the width. I am not confident riding on the aerobars for long distances on unfamiliar roads, they are too unstable, which is a definite criticism of the clip on style. Since Joshua is not a Tri bike, he really is not engineered to be stable with aerobars of any kind. But, he is engineered for comfort, which is of extreme importance when you spend more than a few hours in the saddle.
    I am excited for long summer rides and have already mapped out a few. I've also been keeping tabs on a few local riding groups, so I can get in on a few longer rides with them. I think having witnesses will likely keep me pushing through a long ride a little better than on my own. All this talk of new components makes me want to clean and lube Joshua, but I just did that last weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment